Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dec 28,2007 Higher Ground 1st of 3 nite N.Y.Run

Rock For a Cure My night

Ok here I go. I won't have a set list because I was doing the volunteer thing for the Parkinson's Association. I arrived about 7 pm the appointed time for the volunteers. I walk in hmm no security so lets just kind of see where I can go. Ah I know that guy, it's Tedheadone from the other forum. Good the pressure is off for a set list and a great review. (Ted) "Hey Jim how are you. Jim...whose Jim...me?? (Me) It's Dave. " Oh yeah Dave. You're volunteering for the Rock for a Cure and you must be looking for FrenchSteph. She's in here" We walk into the main room there is Steph she is in front of the Channel 3 news camera with a nervous grin doing an interview. Better you then me.(Ted) "Oh Justin this Jim..." (Me) "Dave." (Ted)"Oh yeah Dave this Justin the bands manager" (Small talk) Steph finishes with the news and comes over. (Ted) "Steph this is Jim he's volunteering with you tonight" (Steph with puzzled look) "Jim???" (Me) Dave (Steph looking a little relieved) " Oh, I knew we didn't have a Jim tonight." We raffled off (sold 350 tickets) the snowboard and a 50/50 also. Grace had signed 30 large stickers for us to sell which we receive 50% of the profits. We also sold some awesome T-shirts that had been designed just for the show featuring the Owl. I don't know who designed them and I forgot to ask. The remainder of the shirts are being sold on-line I'm thinking you will be able to find them here www.parkinsonsvt.org/donations.php but maybe not until next week. I'm told they should sell pretty quickly. Opener Swale a 3 piece group from Burlington. Keyboard, guitar and drummer. They have a nice sound but not Rock and Roll. keyboardist is pregnant guitar player is the father. Child will be raised to be the bass player for the group. Honkytonk comes over to chat for a while. I asked if she brought any "Leaves" cd's. GPTN has them out front at their merchandise table. That is great of them to do. This is a nice 4 song disc that features Scott on the lap steel on one songs "Timid Line". After listening to 3 of the 4 songs for several weeks on-line it's amazing how much better the sound is when you put a cd in a decent system. I almost didn't recognize a couple of the songs. As far as critiquing it Honkytonk, I'm not a music critic and after what you added to my fantastic night I couldn't say anything bad about you or your music. (More on that later) Let me just say to my ear this is a really good first cd...except maybe you could have added "Never Again" that features that outstanding producer/mandolin player. The cost is only $5 so pick one up out front, you won't be sorry. After the raffle drawing it's time for GPTN...YES. Crowd is enthusiastic to begin with but builds to higher levels as the night goes on. I see Sienaluke has posted a set list. Thanks The last and biggest highlight of the show for me and many others was the last song of the encore "Big White Gate" which Grace dedicated to Steph's father who died on October 17th of Parkinson's 2 days after the announcement of this as the "Rock for a Cure" show. A small picture of him taken in 1973 had been sitting on the stage behind Grace all night. At the time Steph was standing beside me understandably very emotional as were others in the area, some of whom never had the privilege of meeting him. This was a wonderful tribute to the man, his daughter and her work in the Parkinson Association. Thank you Steph for letting me be a small part of this. Shows over, we had a mad rush on the last 3 stickers and sold several shirts. Then it's time to pickup, which only took a few minutes. (Steph) "Are you going to hang around for a while?" (Me) "Yes" Ok she had given me an All Access Pass you couldn't drag me out of there with a team of Morgan horses. (Steph) "Ok follow me" Back stage we go and first we run into Bryan. (small talk) then he moves on. Honkytonk comes along, takes me back to Bryan and asks me if it's ok if I go upstairs with them. Yes upstairs to where the band is hanging out. Now to some of you this might not be that big of deal but to someone who has followed and loved this band for the last 2 1/2 years and has to fight his shyness this is HUGE. Yes Honkytonk I know I just kind of burst into your life at Red Square but sometimes you can just tell when someone will be totally accepting of you. There is Jen, still running around. Does she ever stop? Into a room following Bryan and Honkytonk. There is Ted, Steph, Matt, Grace, Scott, Justin and others. Ted comes over to talk, I think so I don't feel uncomfortable being there. He is that kind of guy. (Ted) "Hey Justin have you met Jim (big laugh) oh yeah Dave". Ok you got me. After a while I feel someone touch my shoulder. (Grace) "Hi how are you, I want you to meet my uncle Gordy. This is the guy who came up with the name Potterville Posse. I met him a few weeks ago at a show." OH NO, she thinks I'm Bostonone. Hmmm......what to do.....ok time for a George Washington moment. (me) "That was not me it was Steve aka Bostonone on the street team". We had conversation about her being legally blind and she has a hard time recognizing people and few other tid bits. Carrjo - I did give her the message about the flowers. (Grace) "That is so sweet". Now if I get credit for them I don't know if I will have another George Washington moment. I also got to meet Scott and was privy to a conversation between him and Sparky (Grace's dad) about them learning how to play to the room they are in. After seeing them on NYE last year in H.G. and then how the sound was last night. I knew exactly what they were talking about. The sound was fantastic. Everyone that has tickets to one of the next 2 shows is in for a special treat. I guess I don't need to preach to the choir. As advertised, this band are truly nice people and are so outgoing and accessible. I won't bore you with my ride home except a normally 1 1/2 drive took nearly 3 hours. I'm not afraid to drive during winter storms however whiteouts are a different story. I will be there Monday and if you see anyone in a Potterville Posse T-shirt please introduce yourselves. I know their were several members there last night but I only got to meet one new member. Dave

1 comment:

vtsnowbird said...

Off and running with the New Year and the Posse's Nocturnal Journeys. Nice start to what should be a nice long run of blogs!