Sunday, February 24, 2008

Toad's Place - 2/22/08 - New Haven, CT

So I'll admit it, the snow almost scared me away. Though around 4pm I decided I'd really regret not goin, and the roads down in New Haven were just wet. So I shoveled my driveway, and made my way to my buddy Frank's house. From there we got to New Haven on a very wet I-91, and made it to one of New Haven's best places to eat, "Bar". Our friend Christopher met us down there, and after a couple pizzas and several pitchers, we were good to go for the show.

So we get there, a couple blocks away, and we're greeted by the large bus, and some of our fellow posse members out front. Its a bit cold. They finally let us in about 8:05 or so. The full posse is up front, and we're ready to rock, drinks in hand. The opening band Phonograph rocked hard, definitely check them out if you haven't already. They did a nice set, a very talented group.

So after their set, Jen brought the new Owl (John and Todd had picked him up earlier) to the stage, right in the middle between Scott and Bryan's spot (Bryan was playin with the owl throughout the show). So after Danny and the crew did their thing, it was go time. They opened with Joey, always a good time. Sparky was backstage snappin some pictures. The band was totally right on. Sweet Emotion was a nice surprise, we'd heard it new years but it was very cool to hear it again. Nothing but the Water was different, Grace did Part 1 on an electric guitar instead of with the tambourine as usual. The drum part was great as well, including a Grace/Posse Cowbell duet! Nice to hear Sugar again, this song is coming along nicely, then...Neil Young's Down by the River, fantastic stuff! My buddy was really pumped to hear it, the crowd was totally singing along too.

Encore, Piss on Your Hand. I'd only heard this once before, at the same venue actually the first time I ever saw the band. Grace had the whole audience howling, and I must say, we were doin pretty well at it too! After the end of the song, the entire band came around giving everyone in front high fives, you could totally tell they dug the energy in the house that night. Man, what a great time! I was lucky enough to grab a setlist post show from Danny as well.

After the show we hung around a bit, my friend wanted to grab Phonograph's CD. While waiting there, who walks by but Matt, who we stopped and chatted with for a couple minutes. Then he made his exit to the bus, and we headed outside to join the other posse members, and Aya who was out chatting with Dave. She's a real sweetheart, and we all got to talkin for a bit before my friends and I headed out.

Setlist:
Toad's Place
2.22.08

Joey
Meantime
Ah Mary
Ain't no Time
Treat Me right
Stop the Bus
Sweet Emotion
Big White Gate
Mastermind
Sinking Man
Watching You
Nothing But the Water (with Grace on Electric intro)
Sweet Hands
Sugar
Down by the River

Encore:
Piss on your hand

1 comment:

Earvolution said...

Wait to you see the video for "Sugar" from the Sun Sessions...it'll knock your socks off!