Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Dec 31 - Jan 1 2008 NYE Higher Ground Party at Moontower

NYE Review

Steph says "Friday nights show was unforgettable", Saturday night was stupendous". Well NYE the band saved the best for last. If the video ever comes out anyone not there will wish they had done what they needed to do to be there. Quit their job, (Snowbird I'm really not picking on you Ha HA) get a divorce, blow off every other party they were invited to because there was only one and it was the "Party at Moontower" I don't have the words to really describe what it was like to be there but will only try to tell you a few of the highlights from my perspective.In the afternoon I met up with Tipi and Carrjo to enjoy some of the festivities downtown. You guys really should have hung around to hear Anais Mitchell. Then we met up with Laney, what a wonderful little spark of life she is and a true GPTN fan. Drove over from Maine alone in a snowstorm to play with us. I hope your trip back to Maine was a little easier. You do look taller in your picture.Higher Ground was nice enough to take our tickets early and have their small room open so we didn't have to wait in the cold. As the man said it was setup for all our waiting needs.Doors open Tedheadone is holding the rally area for us in front of the B-3. Now it's time for the list of team members who I met there. I know there were others that I didn't get to meet or didn't realize they are on the team. Tipi, Carrjo, Laney, Kat.loves.GPN, CSDaSmack and all our leaders. Nate, DJFu and Hannarenae. There should be lots of pictures from the team.Lowell Thompson was first out with his Rock with a little country sound to it. This is a very nice band and I recommend going to see a show if they are in your area. Then it was time for "OUR BAND". Early on I could feel The Nocturnals were saying to us "You guys paid $45 a piece for ticket and we are going to give you a million dollar show" and they delivered. There were many memorable moments last night one of the first was having 3/5's of the Potter family, Mom, Dad and brother Lee down front rocking with us. Of course I'm sure they had no clue who we were but it was still a highlight. As previously mentioned by Ted in the other forum they did 5 covers and each was a master piece. None topped "Pain in my Heart" originally done by Otis Reading. This is a soulful melody that as expected Grace nailed with her voice and the same can be said for the whole band. Looking over at Mom I could see tears in her eyes and why not when looking up at her daughter who has become, well as I said the other day I don't need to preach to the choir. A couple of additional notable moments was the debut of the !#$^&*! hairy scary fog fairy and the Cow Bell chorus featuring Charlotte Potter (sister) and our very own Hannarenae. We are lucky to have such talent on our team. Ok this thing can go on and on and on since the first set was over 1 1/2 hours long so I will stop with it because the best was yet to come.Set 2 out walks Matt with a soliloquy about the Party at the Moontower. The boys came out dressed in what I would describe as their best Motown style duds. Now I had notice that Bryan was looking a little scruffy in the first set but he came back for the second all clean shaven except his well trimmed mustache. Then enters Grace prancing around the stage. Now many of you know that I don't like to focus on the sex thing but last night Grace set a new standard for "HOT Rock Star Mamas" with her tight bell bottoms and top and her big Red curly Afro wig and playing the part to a T. It was now near or past midnight but who needs a clock when you have Grace counting down. 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 Happy New Year and everyone sings Auld lang syne. Balloons fall from the ceiling which we played with the rest of the night. Grace was using a drum stick to hit the ballons out of the park and Bryan was kicking them out into the group while still playing like the champ he is. If he ever wants a new career i think he could be an NFL field goal kicker. He was able to kick them 6 or 7 rolls deep into the crowd straight and true. Ok now I'm standing next to Ted and Grace leans over and gives him her first New Year kiss. If I were taller I would have stepped in front of him and stole that baby During this set they just nailed us with song after song with help on a couple from Blues and Lasers members Benny Yurco (guitar) Steve Sharon (drums) and a sax player whose name I didn't catch and a brief return by the cowbell chorus. Finishing with a long 2 song encore..This description can not even come close to doing justice to the night. Thank you GPTN for making last night a night I won't soon forget.

I stole this set list from Tedheadone:
Set 1
Ah Mary
Mastermind
Treat me right
Stop the Bus
Meantime
Joey
Pain in my Heart...My official song of the night
Ain't No Time
Big White Gate
Take It All Away
Sinking Man
Every Mile
Paris
Watching You

Set 2
Auld Lang Syne
Sweet Emotion
Right Place Wrong Time
Low Rider
Slow Ride
Mystery Train
Getting in Tune
Farmer John
Jet Airliner

Encore
NBTW
Tuesdays Gone

1 comment:

William Wren said...

love you guys keep working